This is really a must do for any iOS device running 3.0 and higher. Enabling this will allow you to back up to the cloud and reset all your settings if anything should go wrong with your device. This will also make it seemless if you buy a new device or receive a replacement.
- Open Settings
- choose iCloud
- If you have not setup your iCloud yet, simply enter your username and password
- choose Storage and Backup
- toggle iCloud backup to the On position
- It will inform you that “Your iPad will no longer back up to the computer automatically when you sync with iTunes.”
- Click OK
- Then select Back Up Now
- This may take up to 30 minutes to complete, depending on your storage size.
After you have backed up to iCloud, each time you are connected to a power source and wifi, your device will automatically do a backup!
Now you can easily update your software without worrying about losing your data and device setup.